Welcome to Hedgehogs Class Page. We are a class of Year 2 children. We hope that you will find this webpage useful as we share all there is to know about Year 2.
Our class teachers are Mrs Ford who teaches Monday- Wednesday am and Mrs Horton who teaches Wednesday pm– Friday. Our class teaching assistant is Mrs Seaman and she works with us all week. Mrs Horton really enjoys music and loves to bake in her free time. Mrs Ford enjoys teaching English and in her free time likes to spend time with her family, especially playing games with her two young children. Mrs Seaman is skilled florist and likes to make candle and wax melts in her free time too!
- Always remember to bring in your home/school diary each day.
- Read your reading book each night to become a reading superstar! Remember to get this signed by an adult.
- Name all your belongings, it is helpful when you need to find things like your jumper or coat.
- Bring in a water bottle daily, learning is thirsty work!
- Bring in a healthy snack at break time such as fruit or vegetables.
- Be punctual each day, every moment of the day counts!
- Complete your homework when it is given, this will help your learning in school.
What are we learning about this term?
This term, we will be learning all about 3 very famous queens in our history lesson. As a class, we will discover why they are so important and why we remember them today. We will get a chance to visit Windsor Castle and learn all about what it was like to be a queen. In Science, we will be discovering the secret world of plants and using our classifying skills. In RE we will be learning about the religion Sikhism and looking at its similarities with other faiths. In Art, we will be studying Picasso’s Cubism and looking at applying this to-self portrait drawings. In music, we will learn how to use a Glockenspiel and in PSCHE we will set ourselves dreams and goals for the year. In ICT we will look at common uses of ICT and think about how we use these in every day life.
In Year 2 you will have access to a range of reading material that will help you to develop different reading skills. Each book is designed to develop a different area of reading.
You will have a:
Phonics Book Bag Book - A phonics book linked to the sounds you are learning.
Ebook - A phonics e-book linked to the books you are reading in phonics.
A PM Benchmarking book - Linked to your comprehension skills.
A library book – Chosen by you from the library bus to share with a grown up at home.
We follow a scheme called Read Write Inc Phonics to learn to read and write. Please watch this video for more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjlPILhk7bQ
year 2's staff book recommendations
Homework will always be an activity that is linked to something we are learning in school or need a little bit more practice with. You will receive:
Spelling homework – a selection of spellings to read and spell
Reading homework – Book bag book, e-book, comprehension book and library book
Maths – Activities to work on at home to improve your maths knowledge
https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button - Practice your number facts here
https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page - Log in to read a wide range of ebooks
https://ictgames.com/ - Play a wide range of Maths and English games
- Year 2 curriculum overview
- RWI sound family sound mats
- End of Key stage 1 common exception words to spell
- 2D and 3D shape maths mat
- Addition and subtraction maths mat
- Fractions maths mat
- Measurement maths mat
- Money maths mat
- Number and place value maths mat